NIFT refers to National Institute of Fashion Technology, the leading institute for Fashion Design and Technology. It was endowed with statutory status as per an Act of Parliament in 2006. This empowers the institute to award degrees and such distinctions.
NIFT conducts an entrance exam for its undergraduate and post graduate courses in fashion design and fashion technology. Courses in which candidates can gain entry in NIFT are: Bachelor of Design (B. Des), Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B F. Tech), and Master of Design (M. Des.). Master of Fashion Management (MFM) and Masters of Fashion Technology (MF.Tech). At a time, only one program can be applied for. One can join coaching classes for design entrance preparation.
Eligibility For Exam:
For undergraduate courses:
- Maximum age limit is 23 years
- 5 years relaxation for Reserved Category
- Pass in 10 plus 2 exam or equivalent by any state board or university
- Passed exam of any 3-4 year diploma approved by AICTE
- Those who are appearing for such exams
For Post graduate courses:
- There is no age limit
- For M.F.M and M. Des courses, pass in undergraduate degree from any recognized institution or university.
- For MF. Tech, pass in BF. Tech from NIFT or BE/ B.tech from nay recognized institution or university.
Nature Of Exam
- Exam is divided into 2 parts: CAT (Creative Ability Test) and GAT (General Ability Test).
- CAT is a drawing test and GAT is an MCQ test ( Multiple Choice Questions)
- GAT test consists of 150 Multiple Choice Questions to be answered in 120 minutes.
- GAT is conducted only in English language.
- There is no negative marking.
- The exam consists of two phases:
PHASE 1: Paper Based Test-CAT and GAT- for all UG programs
PHASE 2: Paper Based Test- CAT and GAT for B. Des and M. Des programs
PHASE 2: Computer based Test: For MF. Tech, BF. Tech and MFM programs
GAT Exam: The content of this exam is
- Quantitative Ability
- Communication ability
- English comprehension
- Logical and Analytical ability
- Current Affairs and General Knowledge
English Test: based on syntax and grammar. Questions cover- antonyms, synonyms, spot the error, phrases and idioms, sentence correction, fill in blanks, correcting spelling errors, analogies, ordering of passage/ sentence. Main focus is on vocabulary.
Maths test: Ratio/ Proportion, number systems, average, speed/ time, profit and loss, cisterns and pipes, downstream and upstream, work/ time, compound interest, simple interest, set theory, mensuration, distance and height , Trigonometry, Probability, Permutation and Combination.
Analytical test: Non-verbal and verbal series, directions, de-coding/ coding, syllogism, ranking, directions, clocks, calendar, dices and cubes, blood relations, puzzles, graphs etc.
Creative Ability Test
Questions are based on: Perspective drawing, three dimensions concept, space design, product design, human figure, color rendering, color interpretations, illustration skills, visual communication, process drawing, and other creative tests.
- Gather all information about test.
- Thoroughly study all components of exam
- Join coaching classes online or otherwise for NIFT entrance preparation
- Hone vocabulary and sketching skills.
- Keep abreast of current affairs by reading newspapers
- Practice using previous years question papers
- Take mock tests for preparation.
- Consult professional guides for this exam.
These are all some aspects about NIFT entrance exam.