Textile and garment design have become very popular careers in India. The leading institutes for textile design in India are the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) and the National Institute of Design (NID) which have multiple campuses in India and are run by the government.
For both, candidates have to clear entrance exams. Hence most candidates go in for design entrance exam coaching.
Candidates can gain admission in the following courses, based on the score they secure in the NIFT entrance exam: Bachelor of Design, Master of Design, Bachelor of Fashion Technology, Master of Fashion Technology and Master of Fashion Management.
Nature of entrance exam:
Written exam consists of 2 papers conducted in one day. First is an examination of 3 hours known as the Creative Ability Test (CAT) and the second is a 2 hour test called the General Ability Test (GAT).
The CAT is a paper for drawing. GAT is paper of MCQ format with 150 questions that need to be completed in 120 minutes.
GAT contains questions on General English (35), Comprehension passages ( 30), quantitative ability (25), Analytical reasoning (30 ) and Business knowledge ( 30). The exam does not involve negative marking.
Mode of preparation:
- You need to practice GAT questions. It comprises of academic subjects such as maths, reasoning, English language and comprehension.
- You must be thorough with Business domain questions. It includes General knowledge, Fashion industry awareness and current affairs.
- The subjects of GAT can be prepared by studying in a well reputed coaching center or via self study using some good preparation books in each subject instead of a guide with all in one design.
- Preparation for CAT must be done under the guidance of creative professionals who are familiar with all details and nuances of the test.
- One must also practice time management for both CAT and DAT
Topics to prepare:
- English- mostly based on syntax and grammar. Common topics include: antonyms, synonyms, phrases& idioms, spotting of errors, fill in blanks, cloze test, analogies, sentence correction, one word substitutions, spelling errors, ordering of passages/ sentences etc. You need to work hard on vocabulary.
- Reasoning- Non-verbal and verbal series, directions, coding/decoding, sitting arrangement, ranking, calendar, syllogism, eligibility criteria, clocks, dices and cubes, blood relations, line counting, puzzles, graphs etc.
- Maths: ratio-proportion, number systems, ages, average, speed/time, profit & loss, downstream and up-stream, cisterns and pipes, simple interest, work/time, compound interest, trigonometry, set theory, distance and height, probability, permutation and combination.
- Creative ability test- Concepts of 3 dimension, product design, perspective drawing, human figure, space design, illustration and color rendering skills, visual communication, color interpretation, process drawing, product lifecycle and many such skills of creativity, which can be honed only under the guidance of creative professionals.
Among the other leading textile designing institutes is the NID. It has a two phase exam: Prelims and Mains. Prelims is called Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
DAT consists of:
- Design problem solving
- Perception and Observation
- Visual sense
- Environmental awareness
- Communication skills and mental ability
Mains consists of Studio test and Interview.
Studio test consists of:
- Doodling exercise
- Clay modeling
- 3D model making
- Wire molding
- Thematic apperception test
- Psychometric test
- Story illustration
These are some aspects about preparing for design entrance exam.